Energy efficiency and convenience go hand in hand
Refrigerators and freezers operate 24/7. Consumers take energy consumption into consideration when buying a new appliance. For a refrigerator or freezer to be considered particularly efficient, it must offer high performance without compromising convenience - all while consuming relatively little energy.
At Liebherr, energy efficiency runs deep as we put environmental-friendliness at the very center of everything we do when designing and manufacturing our refrigerators and freezers. As a result of this commitment, we introduced ActiveGreen® – Liebherr’s commitment to sustainability and keeping our planet livabel for future generations.
- In 1993, we became the first manufacturer to convert our entire appliance range to HCFC/CFC-free refrigerants. Liebherr Appliances in North America was one of the first refrigeration manufacturers worldwide to be fully RoHS compliant by restricting the use of hazardous substances.
- When finishing sheet metal, we use environmentally-friendly powder coatings without using any solvents. We don’t produce waste water that damages the environment.
- Heat generated during our manufacturing processes is recycled as heating energy for our offices and production sites.
- We label all our plastic components to ensure easy and optimum recycling.
- We are accountable. All Liebherr production sites are certified to the international quality standard ISO 9001 and to the international environmental management standard ISO 14001.
Our commitment to energy-efficient appliances is reflected by the US environmental mark, the ENERGY STAR®. All of our appliances sold in the United States meet and, in most cases, exceed the requirements of ENERGY STAR®.
Our fridge-freezers come with two separately controlled cooling circuits, which precisely and independently control the temperatures in the different compartments. Furthermore, there is no air exchange between the refrigerator and freezer compartments so that odor transfer is prevented and the stored food does not dehydrate.
Good insulation is vital when trying to save energy – it ensures that the cold remains precisely where it belongs i.e. in the appliance interior. We therefore continually develop our insulation materials and work on new compositions. We optimize the insulating properties to give an effective layer of insulation whilst retaining maximum usable volume within the interior.
Regular defrosting saves electricity, and the NoFrost function does this automatically. As soon as a layer of ice has formed on the evaporator, a sensor triggers the defrost process. This switches off the fan, heats the evaporator pipes and melts the ice without increasing the temperature in the freezer compartment itself. The appliance remains free from ice and the energy consumption level remains constant. And, as a real added bonus, you never have to manually defrost the freezer!
Our electronic systems help to ensure that the refrigerator and freezer never use more energy than necessary. Temperature sensors measure the interior and ambient temperatures, and the control system adapts the compressor speed accordingly. It also detects when the door is open and switches off the fan. If the door is left open for more than 60 seconds, an alarm sounds to protect your frozen food and save energy.
When it comes to energy-saving lighting, LEDs are the solution of choice as they have a long service life and a low energy consumption level. Liebherr has therefore developed its very own LED lighting concept that optimally and pleasantly illuminates the interior.